Friday, June 14, 2013

Shrimp, Peas, and Carrots




This dish was my attempt at using up some resources in the kitchen. For whatever reason, there was a small (perhaps 1 lb) bag of shrimp in the freezer and we had an overabundance of carrots. I threw in frozen peas for color and for kicks.

I found a recipe online which I then modified to work with what I had.

Ingredients:

20 medium shrimp, tail on and shell off
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup onion, diced (Replaced with maybe 1 cup frozen green peas.)
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
4-5 medium carrots, sliced
2 lemon wedges (No lemons.)
Real sea salt to taste (Regular salt works, too.)
Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top (No cheese.)

Directions:

1. Put butter in skillet to melt on low-to-medium heat. Add in carrots and let them cook for a few minutes before adding garlic. Add frozen peas. [In my case, carrots take a while to soften when cooking. I put the lid on the pan to try and speed up the process.]

2. Put the shrimp in the pan, making sure each has their own space (no overlapping). After a minute or two, they will start to turn pink; flip them. Sprinkle salt. When both sides of the shrimp are done, pour out into a bowl or plate.

These directions are my own, not from the original recipe. Everything was easy to put together; my mistake was underestimating how much time it would take for the carrots to cook and/or adding the shrimp too soon. By the time the carrots were done, the shrimp has shrunk. It was a sad sight. I do like the original's suggestion to leave the tail on and the shell off though!

Recipe: http://butterbeliever.com/simple-shrimp-with-carrots/

No comments:

Post a Comment