Monday, May 6, 2013

No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

For the Foodie Pen Pal project, I made one "homemade" goodie. Typically, homemade goods are not sent but I asked in advance whether the recipient would want it and she said okay. Just to remind you again, Sarah was my recipient and her blog entry about my package is here: http://szubarik.blogspot.com/2013/04/foodie-penpal-month-8.html.

I'm going to skip the photos this time around and get right to it: I made no-bake chocolate chip granola bars. Sarah wanted healthy items, so I figured granola bars would not only be interesting to make but also would be easy to mail. I knew we had a lot of oatmeal at home, so that was a crucial ingredient. Luckily, I found a recipe online from another food blogger. I don't know this food blogger, Lauren, but I do give her credit for this recipe. The link is here: http://www.laurenslatest.com/no-bake-chocolate-chip-granola-bars-easy-healthy/.

These bars were really easy for me to make right the first time, which is a rare feat! I tend to mess up something on the first try, so I was pleasantly surprised. Also, the mini chocolate chips are genius. They add variety to the taste and texture of the bars so they're not completely bland. I'm sure I'll make this again sometime soon!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used light brown sugar.)
2 cups quick cooking oats (not rolled oats)
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tblspn mini chocolate chips

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, stir oats and rice cereal together. Set aside.

2. In a small pot, melt butter, honey, and brown sugar together over medium high heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir.

3. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased small jelly roll pan (about 12x8x1) and press out to be about 3/4 inches in thickness. (If your pan isn't small enough, pack the mixture to one side. Really press down so they stick together.) Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and press down lightly.

4. Cool on countertop to room temperature for two hours or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars. Wrap in parchment or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment