Monday, May 13, 2013

Girl Rising Movie Screening





I'd heard about Girl Rising from a friend of mine who was supposed to attend the event (but couldn't do so at the last minute). Glad I invited my sister along! The free movie screening was at Midtown Arts Cinema. As you can imagine, the audience members were mostly female. The premise involves several young girls in various countries who were empowered through education to get out of or work on getting out of their socio-economical plights (or, at least, that's what it sounded like). If it sounds vague, that's because it is. I had positive thoughts about the organization and the movie going into the screening, but my sister and I were left scratching our heads at the end. What.. was the point again? Empowerment through education is a really broad topic, and the movie highlighted these girls' stories but it seemed ... incomplete. Perhaps it was too lofty an idea to really pin down on paper, or perhaps I needed to have the message delivered to me in a more straightforward manner. I was grateful for the opportunity to learn about the organization and its cause though.

No comments:

Post a Comment