Monday, March 11, 2013

Richard Blais @ B&N GT




Need I say more? I subscribe to Richard Blais on Twitter (@RichardBlais), so I'm happy to say I heard about this book signing from one of his tweets! I happened to be catching up on tweets (I'm @serinarinas, btw) the night before the book signing. So glad I was able to make it!

It was a rainy day, so I took Marta to the bookstore. First, I stopped at Midtown station and walked to the GT Publix to grab a bite to eat. Then I walked from Publix to the GT Bookstore. It's not a bad walk... unless it's pouring. I was glad I brought sneakers! Much better footwear option than flats. O_o

I went into the bookstore and immediately purchased 3 of his cookbooks - one for me and two for friends. The discussion and book signing was upstairs, so I took the escalator up. There were already a few people there, sitting in the second row. (The first row was reserved.) I took a seat in the third row and saved a set for a friend who was coming later. The book signing was at 7 pm; I had arrived there at 5:45 pm. Yep... I had a lot of time to kill. Fortunately, I bought his cookbook! I spent a good chunk of time reading through the text and skimming each page for recipes. The book starts out with simple items like aiolis and butters and then moves to heftier food items like entrees. I glanced at the ingredients and each recipe seemed to have a handful of ingredients to them, which was nice. Though Blais is known for out-of-the-box creations, I'm happy to report that his recipes seem do-able for the average person. :o)

He arrived around 7 pm and spoke for about 30-45 minutes before the Q&A portion. I can't recall any really good questions but one of the first ones had to do with the balance between nutrition and time. It was a legitimate question! I recorded it, so hopefully I'll remember to edit this post to include it. He invited everyone in the audience to The Spence (@TheSpenceATL) afterwards; I didn't take up that offer, so I'm not sure if anyone else did.

After the Q&A was the book signing. I ended up near the end of the line. When I finally got to him, he mentioned someone else had bought 6 books! Craziness. I got a picture with him (obviously); he's a really down-to-earth guy. He showed up in jeans and a hoodie, for goodness' sake! He mentioned in the cookbook that he wants to do a fish-and-chips concept soon - I CAN'T WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment