Friday, March 22, 2013

Cream Biscuits


I had leftover heavy whipping cream that I wanted to use in a recipe but I didn't know what to make aside from soup. -__-" Thanks to Google, I found a quick biscuit recipe that used up the rest of the cream! I used an egg round to make the awesome shape - it felt like a cookie cutter.



Sifted looks prettier than plain. 


Middle "round" was the excess that I fashioned into an almost-biscuit shape. 

Parchment paper is one of a baker's best friends. 




Ingredients:

3 Tblspn melted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 Tblspn baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tblspn sugar (optional) [I left this out of the mix.]
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt butter in a small pot or microwave dish, and set aside.

2. Sift two cups flour, the baking powder, salt and (if using) sugar into a large bowl. Fold in 1 1/4 cups cream. If the dough is not soft or easily handled, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup cream, little by little. Turn the dough onto a floured surface, mound it into a ball and, using your hands, press it to a thickness of about 3/4 inch.

3. Cut into rounds, 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Gather dough scraps and continue to make rounds. Dip the top of each round in melted butter and arrange on baking sheet. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately, or flash freeze for future use. [Biscuits can be baked straight from the freezer, and additional few minutes baking time will be needed, usually around 3 to 5 minutes.]

[I did not dip the top of each round in butter. Instead, I placed the rounds on the parchment paper and brushed each round with the melted butter. That made more sense to me than the given instructions though, in the end, it gave me one more item to wash.]

I rolled the dough on the thin side, so the bake time was approximately correct. For thicker rounds, I suggest baking at least 5-10 minutes longer to ensure the whole biscuit is done.

Recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/12/cream-biscuits/

No comments:

Post a Comment