Sunday, March 10, 2013

Chicken Corn Soup








I found a recipe that was for chicken corn chowder, and I improvised A LOT of the recipe to get what's pictured.

Ingredients:
1 chicken carcass [Substituted 2.5 lb bone-in chicken breast.]
1 bay leaf
2 Tblsp butter
1 onion, diced
3 shallots, diced [omitted entirely from recipe]
2 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled [Substituted at least 4 cups of chicken broth. I eyeballed this.]
2 Tblspn dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
2 Tblspn heavy cream [Substituted heavy whipping cream - my mistake.]
1 carrot, chopped [my addition]

Directions:

1. Place chicken carcass (and any leftover skin, meat, and other bones) in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 60 to 90 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and strain. Remove chicken meat from carcass and chop into bite-size pieces.

2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and shallots in butter until translucent. Pour in strained broth and chicken meat and stir in bouillon, parsley, salt, pepper, potatoes, and corn. Simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked and corn is tender. Remove from heat and stir in cream.

My directions:


1. Boil chicken breasts in a pot for 20-30 minutes until cooked through. You may have to skim the top of the pot to remove fat and oils. Once cooked, drain and add cold water to bring down chicken temperature. Using latex gloves, remove and trash skin and peel meat from bones, tearing into bite-size pieces. Set aside.

2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine chicken broth, potatoes, carrot, corn, parsley, bay leaf and salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes. In a separate saucepan/pot, melt butter. Cook onion in butter until translucent.

3. Combine peeled chicken and translucent onions into broth mixture. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then remove from heat. Add whipping cream.

^ I messed up somewhere with the broth mixture - I don't think I let it cook long enough. You are free to test different cooking times in your own cooking adventure! Further, I didn't add in the cream when I should have, so I had trouble getting a chowder-y consistency. I'm not 100% sure I used the right type of cream at that. I tried cornstarch; I tried eggs. I definitely messed something up there. :o\ It came out like a soup instead of a chowder. It still tasted good... but it wasn't what I wanted. You live, you learn.


Recipe: Http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/26378/chicken-corn-chowder

No comments:

Post a Comment