Sunday, February 10, 2013

Family CNY Dinner

In addition to festivities at the CCC, Chinese New Year always means we'll have a family/friend meal at home, with my parents pitching in the bulk of the dishes. Some of the guests typically bring a dish or two themselves, to boot. This year, my sister and I were tasked with contributing two dishes each. O_o My sister copped out and bought fruit and cheese/meat trays. I made a 6-layer dip (which was subsequently ignored by most people) and a broccoli/cauliflower casserole that turned out dry (which was also ignored). I can't find the recipe I used for the casserole which I suppose is just as well since it didn't turn out well! My main goal for the casserole was to use one can of evaporated milk. I guess one wasn't enough!

Fortunately, there was plenty of other food to eat! I'll have to try and recreate a better version of that cauliflower casserole, especially when the cauliflower is in season. The price was a little ridiculous this time around. :o\

Bowtie pasta

Half cauliflower, half broccoli - boiled

Sauteed onions with herbs

Mix the veggies together

Mix veggies with bowtie pasta.

Evaporated milk, shredded cheese, and other ingredients simmering on another stovetop eye

Pour veggies into the milk mixture; mix well. Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and shredded cheese on top.


 
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes?

Homemade dumplings, color-coded by protein (pink = pork; green = beef)

Let there be fruit!... And almond snacks!


6-layer dip

  

Turnip cake



There's a salad under there somewhere.


Tofu





Spaghetti 



Deviled eggs



Salad that is awesomely unhealthy for you - with mayonnaise, bacon bits, and shredded cheese


Fried rice


No comments:

Post a Comment