Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookies








The mixture sat in the fridge for about two days.





I had some leftover pumpkin puree from the pumpkin cheesecake brownies I had made over Thanksgiving, so I found a recipe that would use the rest. :o)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling the cookies
1/2 cup of pure pumpkin (I used 1 cup of pumpkin puree to finish the can.)
1/4 cup of molasses (I substituted honey.)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I substituted allspice.)
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and smooth. Add the pumpkin, molasses (honey), egg, and vanilla extract, mix until well combined.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1 hour. The dough can be chilled for 2-3 days.

[I simply combined all wet ingredients together, then added the dry ingredients in a little at a time, stirring to ensure that everything combined smoothly. Looking back, I should have added more flour to compensate for the extra 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree.]

3. When are you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place sugar in a small bowl. Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough in sugar until well-coated and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies look cracked and set at the edges. The cookies will still be soft. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes after removing them from the oven, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

[I was too lazy to do tablespoon-sized balls of dough, which is why the cookies look ginormous and disfigured. ;oP I used wax paper but did not coat it with cooking spray, so unfortunately the cookies stuck to the wax paper. I always seem to forget that aspect of wax paper. Anyway, I went through a lot of trouble removing the cookies, so they better get eaten!

Due to the extra pumpkin puree, the cookies came out more cake-like in texture than cookie-like but they still tasted great. I would recommend crumbling them in vanilla yogurt or ice cream. ^_^]

Recipe: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/pumpkin-gingersnap-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment