Thursday, November 8, 2012

Potato Lentil Soup









The weather turned colder, so it was a perfect time to break out a soup recipe. :o) I told my dad and sister ahead of time that I wanted to make lentil soup, and my sister immediately scrunched her face and protested. -___-" Apparently, she does not like lentil soup. She "suggested" (code for "told me to make") potato soup instead. I compromised with potato and lentil soup. ;oP It came out really well, especially with the chicken broth adding salt to the mix.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used whatever oil was on hand.)
1 onion, chopped (white onion for me)
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (three small ones)
1 celery stalk, chopped (substituted with one carrot)
1 cup red lentils (doesn't have to be red!)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/s tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper (didn't have, so didn't use)
4 cups vegetable stock (I used chicken stock, and I honestly don't know how many cups I used. It was enough to cover the vegetables in the pot with a little more liquid on top of that.)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (This is for garnish, so I didn't do it.)

Directions:

1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, potatoes, celery, lentils, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. (<-- Long run-on sentence, fyi.)

The pan I used was not large enough to accommodate cooking everything all at once, so I broke it down. I cooked potatoes and onions first - I wanted to caramelize those onions fast and I knew potatoes would take a while to soften. (In hindsight, I should've cooked the carrots with the potatoes.) I moved to that an empty dish, then I sauteed the carrots and lentils. I didn't cook this long enough though, so that made the next step take longer.

2. Add stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until potatoes and lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

After I added the chicken stock, I brought it to a boil and then reduced to simmer. Had I cooked the carrots and lentils properly, I suspect 20 minutes would have been fine. However, since I didn't do that, it ended up taking a lot longer (maybe 45 minutes) at simmer. Dad wisely turned the burner to boil. Thanks, Dad!

Recipe: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_vegan_potato_lentil_soup.php

No comments:

Post a Comment