Friday, November 23, 2012

Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Muffins









The only reason I wanted to make these muffins was because we have too many containers of quick cook oatmeal in the house. O_O I had everything else in the ingredient list except for raisins, which was an easy fix.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar.)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup skim milk (I used whole milk.)
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup raisins

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 12 muffin cups. [I ended up using 18.]

2. In mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients; mix well.

3. In large bowl, combine all wet ingredients; blend well.

4. Stir in dry ingredients, just until moistened. Stir in raisins.

5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.

6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

7. Immediately remove from pans.

I ended up having 18 semi-filled muffin cups. I believe the cooking time was pretty accurate even with the extra muffins. The toothpick test is always good to use on baked goods you haven't made before.

Once I removed the muffins from the oven, I kept them in the pans to cool for a little while. While transferring them to a holding dish, I found the bottoms were moist (from the water). I should have followed Step 7! It all worked out in the end though. The muffins cooled and dried eventually.

They came out "Asian sweet" instead of American sweet, which was nice. Normally, American baked goods are pretty heavy-handed on the sugar content. Asian sweets, by contrast, are not that sweet. The parents prefer Asian sweet, of course, so I knew they would like this recipe. I kept some for them and gave the rest to another family member and friend. I'll definitely have to make these again soon.

Recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-oatmeal-raisin-muffins-139546

No comments:

Post a Comment