Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup




I think the fall weather inspired me to make soup... That, and my sister had bought sourdough bread for something she made earlier in the week and we had some bread left over.

Ingredients:

1 14-oz can chopped tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes. Same difference?)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (Umm, pre-packaged pepper, please!)
1 stalk celery, diced (Yeah, thought we had some in the fridge but NOPE!)
1 small carrot, diced (See comment about celery above.)
1 yellow onion, diced (For some reason, I didn't want to use onion in this soup, particularly since there was no celery or carrot!)
*1 1/2 cup frozen green peas -- I ended up substituting the celery, carrot, and onion with green peas. This was not my original intention but I did want some other kind of vegetable in this soup. Oh dear...)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 Tblspn butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (I used dried basil.)
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and bake until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth.*

*I found out we don't have an immersion blender, so I scooped the saucepan's contents (half of the saucepan at a time) into a food processor and blended accordingly.

Admittedly, I used too much butter, though that might have been tempered better with more vegetables. ^_^" The green peas definitely don't look great once they've been through the food processor. I need to try making this again with the proper ingredients. :o\ But... it did taste good with the sourdough bread. :oD

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/homemade-tomato-soup-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment