Monday, September 17, 2012

We Suki Suki







Classic Dac Biet Banh Mi 



I read about We Suki Suki in Creative Loafing, and I remember balking because they sell banh mi sandwiches for $4 each! I'm used to Buford Highway pricing ($2.50 to $3.50 each), so this was a travesty to me. I finally made the time to check it out with a couple of friends who live in the area; fortunately, they were willing test subjects because they LOVE these kinds of sandwiches. [Note: I don't know how the owners came up with the name but I can see it as being fodder for immature people. ;oP]

EAV stands for East Atlanta Village. According to my friends, this area/neighborhood has been around for a while. It surprised me because I didn't think Atlanta had much else to offer, ha. I'm glad I'm wrong! The restaurant is *super* tiny; there's hardly any seating inside, so we took our food to-go. They have a very limited menu, which is a result of the space they occupy. Small space means less room for kitchen equipment, which means you simply can't make that much food (both quantity and variety). The sandwich wasn't bad but I still think the quality of a Buford Highway banh mi sandwich is better. Quac Huong and Lee's Bakery are my go-to places. I'm certain the restaurant charges $4 per sandwich because of its location. At those prices and with such a limited menu, we'll see whether it's able to stay open. My friends are excited that they have a banh mi place that's closer than Buford Highway but... you can't beat those "buy 5, get the 6th one free" deals. And better quality sandwiches... and ample parking. ;oP Yes, I'm biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment