Saturday, September 22, 2012

Deep Dish Apple Pie with Crumble Topping










If you haven't been keeping up, I went apple-picking last weekend with friends. Naturally, it was time for me to start the baking extravaganza! I've been waiting all week to try out different recipes. :oD

I had one leftover, store-bought deep dish pie crust from when I made a pumpkin pie, so I decided to "cheat" and use it for the first homemade apple pie. [Sadly, I did not blog about the pumpkin pie! Mental note to make one during the holidays. ^_^]

Ingredients:

Filling:

5 1/2 cups peeled and sliced winesap apples
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Topping:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1. Combine filling ingredients and pout into prepared deep dish pastry crust.
2. Mix topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Place over filling ingredients.
3. Bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool thoroughly on wire rack. Serve at room temperature.

Note: This pie turned out to be super sweet, which is significant coming from me since I have a HUGE sweet tooth. WHOA... I had to eat a slice with a glass of milk to temper the sweetness. Coffee can be used as an alternative.

Recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1637,153184-240202,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment