Monday, September 17, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Corn Chowder





We're taking turns making dinner at home, and I'm kind of excited. I've always enjoyed cooking and baking but I've never been able to do much of either until lately.

When I was younger, I vividly remember having Campbell's Chunky Soup in the house. My absolute favorite soup was Chicken Corn Chowder. I decided to try and make my own version using a crockpot.

Ingredients:

2 Tblspn butter
1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 small carrots, sliced
2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried dill weed (No dill weed in the house, so I subbed with another herb. Basil perhaps? I honestly don't remember .:oP)
1/2 cup half and half or evaporated milk (I used evap milk)

Directions:

1. In a large skillet, melt the butter; brown chicken. Transfer chicken to slow cooker.
2. Add onions and celery to skillet and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes until just tender. Add onions and celery to crockpot, along with carrots, corn kernels, potato soup, chicken broth, and dill.
3. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
4. During the last 10 minutes, stir in the half and half or evaporated milk.

I got a late start on this recipe, so I couldn't wait until the last 10 minutes to stir in the evaporated milk. I did need to sleep at some point! I ended up stirring in the milk at the one hour remaining mark and letting the contents sit on warm until morning. Thank goodness for an electronic timer on this crockpot!

Anyway, you need to flavor the chicken while it's in the skillet. I had a nagging feeling that I should have done that but I didn't and proceeded with the directions. :o\ I should have listened to my gut! (This is why there are saltine crackers in the soup, to make up for the chicken's lack of flavor.) The soup itself came out more soupy than chowdery, which was also a bit disappointing. If you've read any other posts about soups/stews on this site, you know that I prefer stews over soups. If I were to make this again, I'd throw in some real boiled potatoes to give it an extra oomph and saute the veggies longer.

Recipe: http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchickensoups/r/bl79c1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment