Friday, September 21, 2012

Breakfast Casserole

Pre-oven 

Pre-oven 

Post-oven 



For some reason, we had a ginormous amount of eggs at home, so I figured an egg recipe would be appropriate. I know it's probably not a great idea to have all those yolks involved but... well... waste not, want not! Anyway, the rest of the ingredients are easy to find. I like that this recipe can be customized to your tastes.

Ingredients:

6-10 eggs (I used 7 eggs. If I had used 10, I probably could have thrown in one more "addition" to the dish.)
2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese (The package I bought had 2 cups of cheese.)
6 slices bread, cubed (I used two bolillos from H-Mart; three for $1!)
2 cups milk (I used one can of evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup of water as a substitute because we didn't have milk in the house.)
Salt (I ended up not using salt or pepper for this dish. The cheese had salt in it.)
Pepper

Additions:

1/2 cup chopped broccoli (cooked or raw, raw will turn out crunchier)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Other suggested additions:

1 cup corn (cooked or frozen)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup cubed ham or cooked Italian sausage
Few slices of cooked bacon, chopped
1 tsp herbes de provence (or other dried herbs) or Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs such as basil, rosemary, or thyme

13 x 9 inch casserole dish

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the milk and cheese. Add the bread and carefully stir until all pieces of bread are moistened (don't over-mix or bread may disintegrated).
2. Add additions. Add salt and pepper to taste (if using Italian sausage, you won't need either). [Note: I did not use salt or pepper. The cheese had enough salt content in it to cover those bases.]
3. Butter 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Pour mix into casserole dish.
4. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, until the top is browned and the center springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/as-you-like-it_breakfast_casserole/

No comments:

Post a Comment