Monday, August 6, 2012

13 Bean Crockpot Chili





1 1/4 cup 13-bean mix
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
garlic
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 dash pepper
1-2 Tblspn chili powder

I found this 13-bean chili recipe online. I soaked 1 1/2  cup beans (remaining from the 13-bean soup) for about 8 hours. Then I rinsed them and threw them in the crockpot on low for at least an hour (my memory's a bit hazy), thinking they'd be mostly cooked by the time I added the rest of the ingredients. NOPE! In the meantime, I chopped and sauteed the onion and garlic. I also browned the ground beef.

I added the ground beef (drained), onion, garlic and seasoning to the crockpot with beans in it and set it on low for about 6 hours. In hindsight, I should have set it for four hours. After already sitting in the crockpot for a couple of hours, an additional four hours was appropriate for the beans to cook. (Hopefully that explains the charred-looking parts of the crockpot interior.) Anyway, I didn't add that much salt so it came out a little, well, tasteless but you could always add more if you wanted. I found that eating the chili with saltine crackers helped add flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment