Sunday, July 8, 2012

Uncle Julio's


 Combination enchiladas - chicken (left, with sour cream sauce) and beef (with salsa carne); served with rice, frijoles a la charra and warm tortillas


Beans

This was my first and last time at Uncle Julio's. I was forewarned about this chain restaurant but I decided to give it a try anyway. Oh man, this was a doozy!

As is customary, we had chips and salsa before our entrees arrived. This was quite possibly the most disgusting salsa I have ever had. There was a sort of mesquite flavor to it that tastes increasingly awful as you  eat. Unfortunately, I was starving so I consumed a lot of chips and salsa that evening. Just before our entrees arrived, someone had the brilliant notion to add hot sauce to the salsa mix. This made it taste MUCH better. Moreover, the tortilla chips are super thin. Do; I prefer thick tortilla chips because you can get more salsa on each chip. Plus, there's a good ratio of chip to salsa. I was crying on the inside.

Oh, and everything on the menu is overpriced. O____O"""" I thought chain restaurants had the scale to at least keep prices reasonable. I opted for the combination enchiladas because they were technically on the $ of the $$ end of the menu items. The enchiladas were eh. I've had better, cheaper enchiladas at Vallarta.

To top it all off, we had eight people at the table and the customer service was not great. I don't know whether the server was a new guy or whether he had tables in different sections of the restaurant, but he was truly inattentive. One guy's order was apparently lost in translation because the kitchen had to make it on the fly. [The waiter did not admit this; I've had many a restaurant experience (as employee and customer) to know that that's what happened.] This doesn't sound so bad until you find out that someone else at the table ordered the exact same dish. Two of the same dishes but only one guy got his order? It just doesn't make sense.

I normally have great things to say about restaurants and food but this place just makes me mad. Never again, Uncle Julio's.

3 comments:

  1. You ate the wrong thing. when a server gives you a menu tour and recommends fajitas, it is because they know what they are talking about. the fajita meat is what made uncle julios famous. the true reason the enchiladas are there is to please the customers who will continually complain. the salsa is roasted and completely homemade. if you'd prefer fake cheap mexican food, find a taco bueno. the price you should have been well aware of, as it states on the front of every restaurant: Uncle Julio's and in a bit smaller size font: fine mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I don't think I knew that about the fajitas. I'll give it a try. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete