Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lentils with Tomatoes

Pre-simmer look 


Mid/post-simmer 

Ta-da! 


I have lentils. I have tomatoes. Why not make something?

1 quart water (1 quart = 4 cups)
1 cup dry lentils
3 Tblspn olive oil
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (substituted one cucumber, chopped)
1 medium onion, chopped (I used white.)
2 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes (substituted 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with reserve)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a pot, bring the water to boil. and stir in the lentils. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes; drain.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the green bell pepper (cucumber) and onion until tender. Mix in the tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the lentils, reduce heat, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.

I wonder what using a green bell pepper would have looked like. Hmm, I also wonder if I could have chopped the onion differently. I can't tell whether it's translucent when the cuts are so small. O.o Simmering everything together in step two required adding 1/2 cup of water (1/4 cup in two pours) to ensure the lentils were actually simmering and not burning in the tomato reserve. Perhaps I should have removed some of the tomato reserve from the equation, or maybe using real tomatoes would have a bigger (better?) impact. Hmm. Anyway, the total simmer time took me approximately 20 minutes.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. My family liked it. As this was the only dinner option at home at the time, I suppose there was no choice, haha. It's not something I would go out of my way to make again though. It's hard for me to imagine a lentil dish without soup or chili in the title! Was this a self-fulfilling prophecy? O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment