Sunday, July 15, 2012

13-Bean Crockpot Soup


Crockpot contents before adding 6 cups of water

Crockpot contents when first opening the lid


"I bought beans." "I know. I saw them but I didn't know what you were wanting to do with them." "You can make soup." "Hahaha... Oh, okay! I guess I'm making soup then."

For soaking
2 cups of 13 bean soup mix (We had Bob's Red Mill on hand.)
6 cups water

For soup
1 cup ham, cooked and diced (substitute 1/3 Hillshire Farm smoked sausage, chopped)
2 leeks, sliced (white part only)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I chopped'em - Who cares? It's all going into one pot anyways.)
2 carrots, chopped (or 8 baby carrots cut in thirds)
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 tsp basil (I used dry basil and dry thyme, not fresh.)
1 tsp thyme
2 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce (substituted equal part Asian black vinegar - I don't think the brand matters here, personally.)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
6 cups water (can partially substitute with broth)

1. Place beans in a colander and sort through them., picking out any rocks or debris. Rinse the beans with water and drain.

2. Place beans in water and add 6 cups of water. Cover with lid and soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. DO NOT turn on crockpot.

3. Pour beans and water into colander. Rinse, drain, and return beans to crockpot.

4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot and stir to combine.

5. Set crockpot on LOW for 3-5 hours or until beans and veggies are soft.

I love crockpot recipes. I love crockpots in general. Set it and forget it, man. That's also why I like baking. Cooking, to me, is the most arduous task because you have to be at the stovetop the entire time. Call me lazy!

Note: We purchased Bob's Red Mill beans at a discount at Big Lots! :oD

I found this recipe at food.com, and I'm not sponsored by Hillshire Farms. ;o) I substituted a couple of ingredients - I didn't want to purchase Worcestershire sauce just for this recipe, and I had to improvise with the ham when I couldn't find it in H-Mart. It all worked out in the end, of course. I set the crockpot for four hours knowing it would keep warm for a little while after that. The seasoning was perfect. The original suggests eating the soup with garlic bread, which is a good idea. I submit you could pair it with sourdough bread as well. I'm sure it'll taste fine with whatever you decide to eat it with. :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment