Saturday, June 16, 2012

Speedy Huevos Rancheros

I was hungry for something with more protein and few(er) starches, so I put on my thinking cap. I was craving something similar to huevos rancheros but (a) had limited ingredients and (b) didn't want to make a run to the grocery store to fill in the blanks on the recipe. So, I threw what I had together and improvised a version for myself. It's really simple and filling - if you end up making it, let me know how yours turns out! Recipe after pics.




1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, half drained
1 ripe avocado
2 eggs
tortilla chips (as desired)
shredded cheese (as desired)
cumin
garlic salt/garlic pepper
red pepper flakes
couple of garlic cloves (optional)

1. Bring water to boil in a pot.
2. Break eggs individually into a small bowl, and gently drop eggs from bowl into pot of boiling water. Let boil for a couple of minutes - shorter time for runny yolk; longer time for cooked yolk.
3. In a saucepan, sautee garlic cloves and diced tomatoes on med-high heat. Add cumin, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes to taste. Add black beans. Cook until majority of the water has evaporated. Remove from heat.
4. Sprinkle tortilla chips (I used only a handful of chips - you're welcome to use more) on bottom of serving plate. Add tomato-bean mix on top. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
5. With spoon, remove poached eggs from pot and place on top of tomato-bean-cheese mix.
6. Halve one ripe avocado. "Whack" seed with knife and twist to remove. Using knife, "dice" avocado in its skin. Use a spoon to scoop out pieces onto tomato-bean-cheese mix.

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment