Saturday, June 30, 2012

Potato Tomato Bake







Fruits and veggies are neglected from time to time in this household, so I thought I would create something that would not let potatoes and tomatoes go to waste: a potato tomato bake.

Since this was my first time making it, I anticipated making a few mistakes here and there. Here we go:

*I used six small Russet potatoes in lieu of four big ones, and three large tomatoes instead of two small ones. The small onion was more like a medium-sized one. (The recipe doesn't specify what kind of onion; we had white, so I used white.) I figured it would all balance itself out in the end.

*Knowing full well I should have used real butter, I opted to use a spread instead. The end result does not make the bake look pretty. I'll spare you the details.

*Instead of 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream, I used 1 cup whole milk.

*I did not have enough shredded cheese, and I refused to make a grocery store run just for more shredded  cheese. Believe me, it tastes better with the cheese than without!

I would probably follow the directions better the next time around. I kept eating the potatoes and tomatoes over the onions (guess I'll have to caramelize them in the future). It wasn't bad... it just wasn't great, either. Eh, I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment