Friday, April 13, 2012

Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole








When I was in undergrad, I spent one spring break at a friend's parent's house in Colorado Springs, CO. For dinner one night, her mom made the most delicious ground beef and cabbage casserole dish. I specifically remember going back for seconds... and maybe thirds. ;oD I remembered this dish recently when it came time to attend another potluck dinner. I enjoy potluck dinners for several reasons: you get to catch up with a group of friends in the comfort and privacy of someone's home; you get to try different dishes without spending too much $; and you get the opportunity to make a dish yourself. Since I don't cook that much at home, I relish the opportunity to try out recipes and have my friends be guinea pigs. Hehe... Don't worry, everyone's still alive and kicking.

I didn't have my friend's mom's recipe for the dish, but I did remember that it had ground beef and cabbage. My friend asked her mom and her mom's friend for the recipe but neither women knew where it was. So, my friend roughly sketched the directions and ingredients for me. That was all I needed, really. :oD I googled the ingredients and matched the directions roughly to the recipe results. Behold the power of the Internet!

The casserole came out great! I substituted cucumbers for onions (one friend has an allergy), but otherwise followed the recipe accordingly. It's super easy to make, and I'm sure there's a crockpot version out there somewhere. It's best eaten with rice or bread. If you are single or a couple, you could easily make this on a Sunday and have enough meals for the rest of the week. Yummm....

1 comment:

  1. Like the sound of this. Cabbage always goes down well with me. But having it for meals for the rest of the week? I don't like cabbage that much...

    ReplyDelete