Friday, April 6, 2012

Crockpot Lentil Soup



I had had this crockpot lentil soup recipe for a few months with the intention of making it during cold, winter months. Ha! What winter?? I made some free time one evening, ran to the grocery store, grabbed some missing ingredients, and got started on the recipe. It's pretty straightforward.

I rinsed the lentils before I put them in the crockpot. I have not made anything with lentils before but all the recipes I've seen using lentils tend to mention rinsing or soaking overnight, so I figured a rinse couldn't hurt! I did not want to include bacon or bacon bits in the soup - it's kind of ridiculous for me to get a package of bacon (which I normally don't eat) just to use so little in this recipe. Yes, I know I could apply the bacon to other recipes but if I don't normally eat it day to day, then what are the odds I would make another recipe that included bacon? :o\ I did not have parsley on hand - I substituted various seasons including basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt. Haha... I just kind of threw whatever was available into the pot. Oh, and in lieu of wine vinegar, I used distilled white vinegar.

I know the top picture looks less than phenomenal - I could have (or is it should have?) put all the herbs at the bottom of the crockpot to sit and stew with the lentils but the directions said otherwise. Before I closed the lid, I threw in extra salt to make up for the lack of bacon; I didn't use any precise measurements, I just eyeballed it. In the end, it turned out really well! I was pleasantly surprised because it didn't look all that great with the herbs sitting on top, haha. I'll definitely keep this recipe in my arsenal for next winter. FYI: This is a five quart crockpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment