Monday, March 19, 2012

Souper Jenny







Tomato, artichoke, and Parmesan soup
"California Love" sandwich - Ripe avocado, creamy goat cheese, sprouts, tomato, spinach on a French baguette
Chocolate cookie


My Dad's turkey chili
Grilled chicken salad with celery, carrots, herbs mixed & tomato in a pita

It's been a few years since I was last at Souper Jenny. It's located on the other side of East Andrews and has a bistro feel to it. This place is cash only - there's an ATM just inside the door, in case you forget - and seating is limited. There's indoor and outdoor seating available, which is perfect for the summer-like weather we're experiencing as of late. The soup bowls are on the eclectic side while the drink cups are plastic. A piece of bread is optional with your meal. The soup portions are pretty decent, depending on the size of the bowl you get (or ask for, you never know!). The sandwich portions are on the smaller side, but it's still a nice collection of menu items (soup, sandwich, bread, cookie, drink) for $12. You could do a lot more damage at a fast food joint!

Before you go to Souper Jenny, you need to check the hours of operation. They have limited daytime hours and no evening hours - can you tell that they cater to the business crowd? ;oP Anyway, I went here with a friend of mine, Aly, for lunch. [Aly shares a blog with a couple of friends; you can access the blog, No Time for Pie, here.] I believe it was her first time there. Generally, weekend lunches can get crowded pretty quickly but this time was all right. Customers preferred to sit indoors rather than outdoors that day. Most people I saw had just come from a morning run or yoga class. :o) What a nice reward!

The tomato artichoke soup was on the soupy side, not the stew-y side. The overall taste was good though I still prefer more 'oomph' on terms of vegetable content. I'm pretty sure the tomatoes were the canned variety. The sandwich was also good - I felt like eating "healthy" that day - and the combination of the vegetarian soup and sandwich was enough to fill me up. The cookie was chocolate - that's a no-brainer for me! It was still gooey on the inside - yum!

I would like to go back and try the chili. It's more substantial than the soup, so it's a better value for your dollar. I didn't have the opportunity to try the chicken salad... I think. Ok, I may have. I don't remember. >.<" Point is: if you haven't tried this place, you should. It's nice for meeting up with a small group of people, perhaps up to four. There's free parking available. The signage is GREAT. The food's good. The people behind the counter were pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment