Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chocolate Party







I honestly forget what top left was - some kind of cookie, for sure!
Top right: Chocolate mousse; Bottom: Flourless chocolate cake  

Green tea cupcakes with chocolate frosting 

Chocolate peanut butter pie with Reese's on top 

Chocolate Casserole - Hands down, the best dish of the evening! Best served fresh from the oven.


Raspberry cheesecake - I'm not sure there was any chocolate in this.

My friends threw a "chocolate party" around Valentine's Day. Each guest is supposed to bring a chocolate dessert item, and thus everyone at the party can sample different desserts. I made my go-to vegan chocolate cupcakes and decided to make frosting, too.

Frosting
I didn't have enough confectioner's sugar to make the frosting, so I substituted regular white sugar for part of the confectioner's. The result is an obviously grainy consistency with the frosting. Plus, the frosting itself was SUPER sweet, especially compared to the not-that-sweet cupcakes. I would stick with the original recipe if I were you.

I don't have official frosting instruments, so I remembered a trick I saw on Alton Brown's Good Eats to make those swirls. You cut off the corner of one quart-size Ziploc bag. The size of the cut will determine how "big" your swirls will be, so be careful not to cut too much. I pinched the cut corner "closed" and spooned the frosting into the bag; conversely, you can spoon the frosting into the bag and then cut the corner. ;oP Whichever way you want to do it is fine. Once all of the frosting is in the bag, you twist the open end closed, trying to get out as much air as possible. I turned the bag clockwise. One hand holds onto the bag where you've twisted it close, and the other hand is close to the cut corner where you can direct the now homemade frosting instrument. [I'm sure there's an actual name for this tool but I don't know it offhand, and I can't seem to find it through Google - perhaps piping instrument?] You can then start piping the frosting onto the cupcakes. To squeeze out more frosting, you continue to turn the bag clockwise. It seems like a complicated process but it's really not, I promise! This was my first time making and using a piping instrument, and it's much easier to "clean" than if you have a real instrument, haha.

Because of this recipe, I  have a lot of leftover frosting. O_O You've been warned!

The chocolate casserole was the best dish of the evening. The guest brought it fresh from the oven and offered whipped cream to boot! DELICIOUS! There was so much chocolate there that I could barely eat everything on my plate. And, sadly, that was my dinner for the evening. Haha, it's obviously not the best idea but that's how things panned out for me that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment