Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Top Flr



Coffee - I needed this, badly!


Tuna Tartar, Sardinian Flat Bread, Thai Miso Pesto, Avocado, Lime Aioli


Mussels, Coconut-Lime, Soy Broth


Grilled Chipotle Chicken, Brussel Kim Chi, Sweet and Savory Soy Reduction

Crispy Spatzle, Mushroom, Sauce Grenobloise

Top Flr Mac n Cheese - Sharp Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, Spicy Panko Crust

Orange-Apple Tofu, Baby Bok Choy, Japanese Eggplant Miso

Sauteed Tuscan Kale, Roasted Garlic, Shallots

Crispy Brussels, Brown Sugar, Fennel, Caramelized Shallots, Beef Bacon, Creme (Sorry for the blurriness!)

Brussel sprout and kale

Orange-Apple Tofu

Inside the mac and cheese - kale?


Dark Chocolate Cake, Salted Caramel, Raspberry Sauce, Espresso Gelato

Bread Pudding, Bourbon Creme Anglais

Oh, man! First time visiting Top Flr. My MBA friends and I had been planning this ladies' night out for ... oh, about six months. O_O True story! In the end, we still had a couple of casualties as our group of six was whittled down to four but we certainly ate for the two who couldn't make it! 

I ordered the coffee, mac and cheese, and orange-apple tofu. I sampled the rest of the appetizers on the table but did not try the chicken dish. Next time! Our server was awesome - totally laid-back guy who gave good menu recommendations. He called the kale "stupid delicious," ha! I love it!

All the appetizers were fantastic. I really like the Thai miso pesto on the flat bread; it helped make the dish not dry and added a nice flavor as well. The broth used for the mussels was yummy! We should have asked for more bread. O_o I had never heard of spatzle before, and it had an interesting taste. I liked the different textures - it reminded me of a crispy soybean mixed with other stuff. Hmm, it's hard to put my finger on an adequate description. Guess I'll have to go back and try it again! ^_^ The mac and cheese was delicious; I think it had either kale or spinach in it and the chef used giant shell pasta. Yay! The Panko crust wasn't spicy though. The kale and brussels were delicious, though I prefer my brussels to be more crispy (like the ones you find at Young Augustine's).

The orange-apple tofu is listed on Creative Loafing's 100 Dishes to Eat in Atlanta before You Die, so I thought I would give it a try. I have to say that I disagree with Creative Loafing on this one. :o( The tofu and bok choy were fine; I think the Japanese eggplant miso killed the dish. The sauce tasted more and more like a bad balsamic vinaigrette as I ate my way through the plate. Fortunately, after all those appetizer samples, I could only eat the bok choy and one tofu serving. Because I hate wasting food, I took the rest home to be re-purposed into a meal for the next day. Glad I had so many appetizers to quell the tofu disappointment.

The desserts were great. The salted caramel on the dark chocolate cake was a little off-putting to me, but that may have been due to the two cups of coffee I had had throughout the meal. Coffee with LOTS of artificial sweeteners in it, natch. Even so, we all agreed that the espresso gelato was to-die-for. We even wondered whether Paolo's had a version, which I'm sure it does. I like to think espresso is a popular flavor. ;o) I've seen the dark chocolate cake and raspberry combination before, so I knew it was going to taste great. The bread pudding was also delicious but, as you can tell from the pictures, each dessert was individually-sized. If you want one all to yourself, you're going to have to pay the price!

Bottom line: Yes to everything except the orange-apple tofu.

As far as the restaurant goes, it's a bit difficult to see the "Top Flr" sign because it's on the second floor of the building. [If it helps at all, it's directly across Myrtle Street from Mary Mac's!] There is minimal parking at the restaurant, so you'll have to find street parking close by. The entrance off of Myrtle has a glass door with "674" on it. Once you enter, it's a bit awkward because there's no hostess stand. You either go left to find seating and the bar; go upstairs to find more seating; or go right to find, yep, seating. I suppose you could say the owners maximized the space available by not having a hostess stand; now you know not to expect one! Like I mentioned before, the service was excellent. Our guy, Tyler, really took care of us and had a great attitude, too. NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment