Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas Dinner




Corn and bean salad

Cabbage

Pork loin

Lamb and veggies

Shrooms

Baked salmon

Broccoli salad


Sweet potatoes

Restaurant-grade fried chicken

Baked buns - Dad made these. Half had cabbage filling; half had meat filling. I'm not sure what this is called, actually. I should ask...

Chicken pot pie


Pumpkin soup

Red bean dessert

Homemade chocolate cake


Christmas dinner with the family! We had it at my aunt's house this year, and ended up with a lot of American food. Normally, we have a good mix of American and Asian foods. It leaned more American this year, which is fine. It all tastes good when it's cooked by family. :oD Everything except the fried chicken was homemade; I contributed the chicken pot pie. I had been wanting to make this semi-homemade dish for a while. To me, it fell a bit flat. I'll have to tweak it in the future. And I cannot find the original recipe.. d'oh!

I'll type it out for ya, just this once:

Ingredients
1 16 oz. bag frozen veggies
1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
1 can crescent rolls
1 pre-cooked roasted chicken (about 3 cups once shredded)
Salt, pepper, and hot sauce (if desired)

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Saute one bag of frozen veggies until tender.
3. While veggies are sauteeing, shred pre-cooked chicken.
4. Once veggies are ready, add soup and chicken. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Cook until bubbly.
5. Fill 6 individual pots or 1 8x8 baking dish with veggie-chicken mixture. Add hot sauce & stir, if desired.
6. Top with crescent roll dough.
7. Bake about 15 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.

I did not purchase pre-cooked roasted chicken; I purchased about two pounds of bone-in chicken breast and boiled it for 10-15 minutes. Then, I let the chicken cool for a bit and shredded it by hand. It was mostly cooked, which was fine since I knew it was going to be cooked and baked later. I didn't season the chicken at all - I literally put it into a boiling pot of water. As for the veggies, I also threw in some actual minced garlic and a handful of frozen corn. (The frozen veggies were only peas and carrots.)

Eating it, I realized I didn't put enough salt and pepper into the dish. Also, I felt that the crescent rolls could have benefited from a slather of butter on top and should have baked for longer than 15 minutes (to the desired golden brown color). Hmm... I might try to make an actual from-scratch dish in the future. I just wanted to see what I could make semi-homemade due to time constraints.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that with us. What a great spread of food on that table.

    Don't be shy to share any more of your cooking attempts with us. Famous or failure - I'll give (almost) anything a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to elaborate on that Red bean dessert.
    Can't say I've heard of that one before! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you for commenting! I'll keep that in mind for future posts.

    So, here is a Wikipedia entry for red bean soup. The Chinese version is the one I specifically have experience eating. ^_^ Some of my friends like that it's mildly sweet; I like more sweetness to it, personally. I haven't made it before; now that I'm talking about it, I should ask my parents for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete