Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Penang







Roti Canai


Crispy Pork Intestine



Lady Finger Belacan



Roti Telur with beef

I hadn't been to Penang in a while so when a friend found a Scoutmob deal for it, I jumped at the chance to eat there. I'm going to be honest and say that I don't know what authentic Malaysian cuisine should taste like but, with the exception of the roti telur with beef, we liked EVERYTHING WE ORDERED. You can't go wrong with the roti canai - everyone should eat it. Yes, EVERYONE. It's quite similar to Indian curry and naan less the spicyness and with a thin, soupy consistency. I can understand that crispy pork intestine might be a turn-off for some, but you should really give it a try! It's crispy on the outside and fatty (slightly chewy) on the inside, and it tastes great with the accompanying sauce (which I want to say is hoisin). I like okra and I hadn't had it in a while, so I was responsible for choosing the Lady Finger dish. I knew I had had that shrimp paste before, I just didn't know what it was called! Of course, there are different names for it depending on the country to which you're referring. In Malaysia, it's called belacan. The consistency is similar to grits but it tastes VASTLY different. It is pretty salty and so it needs to be eaten with something to offset the saltiness. I've seen it used a lot as a sauce for hot pot dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment