Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Takorea



Dumplings





Top: Bibim-bop; Left: Pork, BLK, and calamari tacos; Right: Spinach Asian Pear salad




Bibim-bop mixed with red sauce


Pork taco on left, BLK taco on right

Calamari taco on left


Takorea (awesome play on the word 'taqueria' - I love it!) is the upscale extension of Korean taco-slinging Hankook Taqueria. The restaurant just recently opened up in midtown at Juniper and 6th Streets. It's so new that the menu isn't up on the website as of yet, which is why I have so many pictures of it posted. (You're welcome!) The menu items bear some resemblance to what you would find at Hankook, with more options (salads) and actual plates instead of trays. The portion sizes were pretty decent; I split the food family-style with two other people and I got stuffed with what we ordered. The other two lamented that they forgot to get sesame fries! Ha... there was no more room. 

Out of all the tacos, I preferred the calamari. This is just my bias though because I love seafood. The pork taco did have a kick to it due to the barbecue sauce and the BLK taco was all right (and also was "kickier" than the pork taco). I'm not a huge fan of kimchi, so don't let that stop you from trying it. The dumplings were nice - crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. The Bibim-bop and Spinach Asian Pear salad portions were HUGE - yay! You can split them if you want, but... why? All the ingredients looked and tasted fresh.

As always, the food was delicious. The service was a little creepy - it was still in "soft open" mode when I went there for lunch, so the place was not that busy and the customer service was, well, PRESENT (aka, kind of hovering). I can't say it was bad service but it was perhaps a tad overdone. I'm sure the owner has every right to be nervous. It's a "new" concept for the midtown area, and Asian food can be daunting to some. The decor inside is vastly different from that of Hankook's and for good reason. It's quite colorful though - you'll see when you visit it. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment