Thursday, October 6, 2011

South City Kitchen


She-Crab Soup - fresh cream, sherry



Roasted Beet Salad - Georgia apples, arugula, blue cheese, peanuts, cider-bourbon vinaigrette

South City Kitchen has two locations: Midtown and Vinings. It's known for Southern-style entrees and, to be honest, I hadn't been here in a while. I believe the last time I was at the Midtown location, it was for a friend's birthday brunch a few years ago. O_O

At any rate, I met up with friends that evening who later saw the Woodruff Arts Center's production of Into the Woods. I had asked the waiter whether the salads were entree salads and, as you can see from above, they aren't. I ordered She-Crab soup in addition to the Roasted Beet Salad to round out my dinner. The She-Crab soup was flavorful (it reminded me of Thai coconut soup or Tom Kha Gai) but lacked crab - it was more like What-Crab? Soup. Plus, I prefer hearty, stew-y soups over watery ones, so I personally wouldn't order it again. 

The Roasted Beet Salad, on the other hand, was pretty delicious. I was expecting purple beets but got yellow ones instead! Fear not, they still tasted like the purple ones. ;oP I've seen and had the apple/blue cheese combination before in a salad, and they always balance each other out. Beets were a nice addition - it certainly provided another texture to the salad. I ended up combining apple, arugula, beet, and blue cheese on my fork several times just to meld the flavors together. It was tasty! You do need to order an appetizer or side though - the salad is not filling on its own.

A note about the service: Our waiter was attentive at first but the quality of service slowly declined after taking our orders. He chit-chatted quite a bit with another table close by, where the customers had ordered a bottle of wine. *shrugs* I don't know if the waiter's an oenophile or if he was schmoozing or whatnot, but it slowed service to our table, so I didn't appreciate it. Also, he accidentally swiped my credit card for my friends' check instead of mine (there was a $50 difference between our checks). My check presenter had my credit card, and my friends' had cash in it. We put the two check presenters on top of each other, which is normal, right? I don't see how he could confuse this process as I've done this many times in the past. That is my customer service rant for the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment