Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Aussieland - Cairns

I spent a chunk of money going on a spur-of-the-moment half-day white water rafting tour of the Barron River, and I did not bring any extra funds so I had pretty 'blah' food in Cairns. But I did have a great time white water rafting, snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, and hitting up multiple natural landscapes on a "Jungle Tour" while I was there. Very lovely weather and the downtown area is walkable. Fortunately, there was a Woolworth's grocery store where I could purchase items on a budget.

No website


Roma sandwich



I stayed at a hostel that funneled its guests to this restaurant for cheap meals. Between 6pm and 8pm, you had to buy a drink to get a free meal; after 8pm, you're free and clear. The meals were pretty simple noodle- or rice-based dishes with stuff thrown on top. You could upgrade to a steak for, like, $5 more but again I was on a budget. So, I made due.

Easily the best "free" dish they have - vegetarian pasta.

Lunch on the Great Barrier Reef tour



Spaghetti Bolognaise - BLAH


Daintree River Cruise - Daintree tea and cookies.

Lunch

Peel away the skin, and there's a berry underneath.


I liked every flavor except the coconut. -___-"" And that's just because it contained coconut flakes, which I don't like. It's a texture thing.


Chili Con Carne - BLAH


Kangaroos are considered a nuisance in Australia. I didn't get to eat any, so this is the closest I got to consumption. I've been told the meat's pretty lean. I'm sure I would've liked it had I tasted some. This was sold in the Woolworth's grocery store.


Trial size cereal



OMG - so helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment