Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 4th Weekend

Let me tell ya, you guys are in for a treat. I'm serving up one mass blog post for the July 4th weekend. O.o Gird your loins!



Reuben sandwich: Corned beef brisket, sauerkraut, russian dressing, rye bread with a side of cucumber, squash, red peppers, and red onions


My friends and I were confused with our dinner menus because we had been to 57th once before, and the entree offerings were completely different. In posting this blog, I discovered that we were given lunch menus instead of dinner menus. O.o Was this on purpose? I'm not sure. Though I'm happy to save a few bucks, I'm also disappointed that we weren't given dinner options considering we had actually gone there for dinner. :o\

The Reuben sandwich hit the spot. I was tempted to order cole slaw on the side and add it to the sandwich as a means of awful and artful artery-clogging, but I defected to a vegetable medley instead. I finished the plate (minus the onions) and quickly succumbed to a food coma. O_O


New menus


Mediterranean Focaccia: Herb cheese focaccia served with Mediterranean olive oil and Parmesan

Caramelized Peach salad: Field greens, spinach, warm caramelized peaches, dried cranberries, red onions, toasted pecans, and Gorgonzola tossed in white balsamic vinaigrette [less onions; dressing on the side]

BLT Pizza: Applewood smoked bacon and Mozzarella, hearth-baked then topped with sliced tomatoes and chilled lettuce tossed in mayonnaise

The focaccia was excellent! The olive oil and Parmesan were a wonderful "sauce" for the just-baked, still-warm bread. The caramelized peach salad is a "new" menu item, so I decided to give it a try. The warm peaches didn't overpower or overwhelm the rest of the dish, which is a plus in my book. I believe I ordered the half-size portion - it definitely filled me up! My friend ordered the BLT Pizza. I knew this was going to be good. I ended up trying a slice (or two), and it was rather tasty in large part because the lettuce and tomatoes were cold while the pizza was warm. AND... well, mayonnaise does wonders for flavoring food items. I tend to avoid mayo because it's murder on the hips but every once in a while is fine. ;o)

Someone had ordered Korean tacos off of the small cravings menu. They were smaller than I thought they would be. :o\ I didn't get a chance to sample them, so I'm afraid you're left to your own devices on that one. In my mind, this was an attempt at catching up with the likes of Hankook Taqueria.



Top: Egg rolls (missing one roll); Bottom: Spring rolls


Combination banh mi


Friends ordered the egg rolls (the third one came out eventually), and I ordered the spring rolls. Pretty generous spring rolls, in my opinion. Peanut sauce is one version of kryptonite for me, so I loved it (of course). Lee's was one of my first blog postings. I believe I got the same version (combination) as last time, which has a lot of pork in it. There's an itemized list of the ingredients on each table - I didn't take pictures of that. Oops. I was slightly disappointed this time around because the baguette came out a little tough, tougher than the last time I was there. Still, the sandwich tasted awesome as did the two varieties of rolls. I would still recommend this place - it's good, cheap food that satiates the appetite.




Pasta, Sausage, and Eggs...: Three large farm fresh eggs scrambled with chicken sausage, penne pasta, spinach, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese served with half creamy dreamy grits and half oven-roasted rosemary potatoes [plus a wheat biscuit served with homemade cranberry apple butter]


I saw this menu item and HAD to have it. I was in the mood for something breakfast-y but also kind of lunch-y. The mish-mash of ingredients in the eggs and penne sold me. I was dining with my sister and suggested that she get a plate with a side of grits and I'd get a plate with a side of potatoes and we'd split them. The waitress told us we could do 50/50 for each of our plates, so we did that instead. To me, the cheesy grits came out perfectly - no additional salt or cheese necessary. Wish I had gotten more potatoes, but oh well. There was too much food on the plate as it was. O_O I should have left the whole wheat biscuit with cranberry apple butter alone but I ate that, too. I cleaned the plate! Needless to say, I had a pretty light dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment