Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pallookaville Corn Dogs

A lot of my friends were confused when I mentioned Pallookaville Gourmet Corn Dogs at Tunes from the Tombs at Oakland Cemetery. Some background info:

I first heard about Pallookaville from a friend of mine about three years ago. She had watched a PBA special on top ten hidden gem restaurants in Atlanta, and sent me the list of restaurants saying that we should create a dining out group to hit up these places. This group did not materialize, however, I kept the list all this time in an effort to knock out visits to the restaurants myself. Here's the list:

1. The Colonnade
2. Nick's Greek Food To Go
3. Silver Skillet*
4. The Beautiful Restaurant
5. The Red Snapper*
6. Carver's Country Kitchen
7. Nuevo Laredo Cantina*
8. Alfredo's
9. Miss Ann's Snack Bar
10. Pallookaville* (Gourmet Corn Dog stand)

The asterisks indicate which restaurants I've attended. As you can tell, I still have a ways to go.  -____-" At any rate, I found out Pallookaville was going to be at Tunes from the Tombs, so I made it my mission to get a corn dog.




The "Wrong" jar contains ketchup packets.

The Fryinstein Monster - "From the Pallookaville Laboratories comes this unholy union of beef frank, spicy Italian sausage, and juicy Polish kielbasa, skewered on the same stick and wrapped in bandages of Laffo's own super secret golden cornbread! Also available in jalapeƱo and cheese cornbread!" $5

spicy Italian sausage

beef frank

Polish kielbasa

Despite the description, the meats were rearranged slightly differently on the stick. I opted for the regular cornbread because I wanted the "original" cornbread batter. 

The process is simple: the pre-sticked dogs are dipped in the batter of your choice and fried on the spot. I waited a bit to sink my teeth into it lest I burn myself and miss enjoying the moment.

I have to say I enjoyed the Italian sausage and beef frank immensely (with spicy brown mustard, if you must know), but the kielbasa didn't seem to jive well with the cornbread. There are other dog options, of course, but this one allowed me to sample all the meats at one time. There is also a fried pickle option for vegetarians. Unlike store-bought corn dogs, these had a great balance to them. The ratio of cornbread to meat was fantastic.


My friends and I also split a large order of fries. FYI: The picture above is not an accurate depiction of the amount of fries in the order. They were greasy and tasted okay - nothing to write home about though. 

To polish off our appetites, we walked over to King of Pops, a gourmet popsicle stand. Like Pallookaville, King of Pops does not have a physical storefront location. You can follow them on Facebook and Twitter. Popsicles vary from day to day, but the price remains the same: $2.50/pop. Cash only.


L to R: peach basil, banana pudding, and strawberry lemon

You can see the banana slices in the popsicle. NOM
You can never go wrong with banana pudding. Unless you're allergic, in which case, more for me. ;o)


1 comment:

  1. YUM! I needs to track this down. And from the list--if you go to Nick's, PLEASE TAKE ME. It is so freaking good I get upset when I eat other gyros or greek potatoes and insist they are incorrect.

    ReplyDelete